i had a three hour layover in Denver the other day. what did i do?
i spent it reading health food magazines. ha!
which is a good thing, because it rekindled my “i’m going to be a healthy eater” drive.
ok, i’m not really a terribly unhealthy eater. in fact, i blow more money on fresh produce and healthier options than i can afford. but, there ARE some things now that i’m going to avoid even more so…and need to cut out! say “NO!” to processed crap!
what are they?
the WORST foods you can eat (some very OBVI):
1. margarine – stick with butter…the REAL thing
2. soda – (even ASPARTAME – which is basically in all artificial sweeteners, is very bad for you – aka – DIET/ZERO sodas)
3. potato chips – said to be one of the main foods that people tend to overeat. and horrible for you. (well duh! but ugh! no more flaming hot cheetos or pringles?! james can attest to my latest pringle addiction)
4. doughnuts – yes, whitney, that includes maple bars.
5. low-fat foods – cookies, snacks, salad dressings, yogurt, and other processed foods with the “low-fat” label use substitutes that are worse than choosing to buy the real/natural/unprocessed food option.
6. processed meats /hotdogs – packed with sodium and unhealthy who-knows-what. (J-DAWGS!!! – nooooo!!!)
7. frozen meals – just stay away from them! even low-fat ones are heavily processed and loaded with sodium and preservatives.
8. processed cheeses/dips – like cheez whiz – gross. don’t eat it.
9. french fries! – go for the homemade/baked ones
10. microwave popcorn = NOT your healthy snack alternative. trans fat and sodium! unless it’s plain/you add your own flavors or you carefully read the label first.
other things to note…
processed bacon. and be wary of how much bacon you eat when you do. (oh, i LOVE my bacon!)
blended coffee drinks – SO bad for you! i don’t have a problem with these. but someone who reads this might and should reconsider : )
high fructose corn syrup….
AGAVE NECTAR! who knew?! it’s supposedly the “healthy” all-natural sweetener. but it has the highest amount of fructose!
rtificial coloring, sodium nitrate/nitrite, MSG, and refined oils.….check your food labels for them = BAD FOR YOU!
i could eat like this and be WAY happy….
anyway… this is my resolve to eat better.
of course, we all deserve a treat now and again. but really…if you stick to healthy REAL foods…those are what become the “treats” and you don’t crave the other stuff. true story.
i talk like i’m profesh at this, and i’m not. but i know it happens. and i’ve learned to prefer the real stuff more. i just need to get better at it.