With a new baby, we had lots of family visitors coming to see her in the month of December. My oldest sister made us a copycat of Panera’s Cheddar Broccoli Soup – and James has already requested it a couple times since, so we have eaten it plenty lately. Turns out, the leftovers are great over a baked potato too!
I am more of a dump and pour cook, so I don’t exactly measure everything out exact each time. We also put the carrots and broccoli in the food processor to chop it up and make things quick and easy.
After a handful of requests for the recipe (after posting about it on Instagram) – Here you go!:
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- ½ medium chopped onion
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ lb fresh broccoli / about 1 cup – (I process some fine and leave some larger pieces chunkier)
- 1 cup carrot, julienned (or throw it in the food processor and pulse chop it a couple times like I did)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the onion in 1 TB melted butter and set aside. In a large pot make a roux by whisking together the melted butter and flour over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes (this is what will thicken your soup as it cooks).
- Whisk in slowly the half & half and chicken stock. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the veggies! broccoli, carrots, and onions. Let them simmer on medium low for about 25 minutes until tender.
- Add nutmeg, salt & pepper, and sharp cheddar cheese. Let the cheese melt and then serve with some warm crusty bread for dipping!
You can tweak it too – add cubed potatoes. Add more cheese or different varieties. Add more or less broccoli and carrot. Maybe top it with some crispy bacon crumbles when you serve it?? YUM. Though I guess these things make it less of a Panera Bread copycat recipe. Whatever.
Maybe with the new year I will FINALLY catch up on some blogging? Maybe. Maybe not. I have tons of pictures of this new sweet babe of ours that need to be posted!